Sunday, October 16, 2016

Getting to all my decks in turn. Impossible?

There's been a thread on Aecletic Tarot recently, asking people which decks they use in the winter. I had a look, and to me, most of those mentioned weren't particularly wintery, although I didn't give it much thought at the time.

In keeping with my current house-tidying theme, however, I began (or more accurately re-began) thinking about how one (me) can possibly do justice to (as in: become thoroughly acquainted with) over 200 decks. Those that I bought early on and used as daily draws are like old friends. A handful are my go-to decks reading for TABI. The majority, however, have been briefly perused at their arrival, and shelved.

Does this mean I need to cull them to a manageable number? I don't know yet; current purging involves piano books to give away or sell (300 and counting...).
Would some type of seasonal (or other) rotation bring each of them in turn to the tarot worktable? This idea feels worth pursuing.

From this point on, I'm thinking/typing outloud and subjecting you to it. Sorry about that.

OK, Autumn decks. Halloween ones, of course. Are there any particularly Thanksgiving-y decks? None come to mind.
Well, what do I love about the Fall?
Changing trees. Cool crisp weather. Re-energizing for a new school year, and with that - paper, pens, rulers, books. The foods of fall - apples, squash, and for some reason roast pork, which goes so well with apples and squash. The end of the air-conditioning season, but not yet the furnace season. Start-ups of activities that cease over the summer: choir, Scottish Country Dancing. Low season for travel pricing. Late-blooming roses and the colours of mums. Spectacular moons.

That's a good start. What decks?
All Hallows and Halloween Tarot* for sure.
A few whose names are ghostly or spirit-filled, for this time of the year when the spirit realm seems closer:

  • Ghosts and Spirits
  • New Orleans Voodoo
  • Tarot of the Dead
  • Tarot of the Hidden Realm
  • Ancestral Path

The moon figures in a lot of skyscapes at this time of year:

  • Wicca Moon
  • Deviant Moon
  • Daughters of the Moon
  • Tarot of a Moon Garden

Magic, forests, fairies
I have many fairy decks, but Fairy Lights seems more connected to Autumn, for some reason. (Hang on, it's my list - I don't have to justify anything!)
  • Mibramig Magical Tarot
  • Badgers Forest
  • Fairy Lights

Changing leaves, trees
  • Tarot Leaves
  • Tarot of Trees

Fall foods
  • The Cook's Tarot

Changing seasons
(There are so many of these - I don't know which ones feel like they belong to a particular season.)
  • Wheel of Change
  • Wheel of the Year
  • Victorian Fairy*

Travel (low season pricing begins - I'm contemplating a trip to the UK or Ireland next fall). This brings in all the Celtic decks, British fiction and lore. Heavens!
  • Celtic Dragon
  • Celtic Wisdom
  • Druidcraft*
  • Glastonbury
  • The Hobbit
  • Tarot of Jane Austen
  • The Shakespeare Tarot
  • Legend - Arthurian Tarot
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Tarot of the Sidhe*
  • Wildwood Tarot

Holy black cats! 31 decks!
The 3 marked with an * are already in use all the time, so I won't have to include them. Well then, a mere 28. My daily draw would look something like this:

Bit daunting. It would take all my allotted tarot time just to pull the cards!

A few years ago, when I first started to dig seriously into tarot, I wanted to learn what the differences were between decks. So every day (well, most every) for a few months I shuffled one deck, pulled a card, and found the same card in 20 or so other decks. How did the 5 of Wands, say, differ from one deck to another? What did most have in common? Which decks stood out from the crowd? Was one deck always different? Were the colours ever similar? That kind of stuff...

I think I'll try that again, with a whittled-down list of the above decks, and see how it feels. There! I have a plan. I'll report back with pix of my chosen decks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


P.S. If you love this time of year, you might like this post from October 2013.