Sunday, September 11, 2016

Cookbooks and Tarot Telesummit 3

Cookbooks.
I don't actually use them much, but I love reading them. Especially if the author has included stories with some of the recipes: memories of growing up, unusual local specialties, fiascos and flops, peculiar dinner parties and weird guests.
If a cookbook contains two or three recipes or tips that become a regular part of my food life, I figure it has earned its keep. This one was a gift, years ago. I buy buttermilk just to make the Irish Soda Bread on page 571!

One buttermilk adventure leads to another. (Don't you just love it when that happens?) My newly-turned-five granddaughter and I have made the very first recipe in this newer book at least a half-dozen times. Buttermilk pancakes, page 13. Mmmm.
Except for the time I'd thought I'd be so smart and make them by heart, and used 3x the amount of salt. Emily didn't seem to mind (saved by the maple syrup!), but they were truly gross.
She's learned to drift flour into a measuring cup so it doesn't pack down, pour salt into the palm of her hand before dumping it into the mixture, whisk an egg, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and scoop batter. If making those memories with her isn't worth the price of a whole bookshelf full of cookbooks, I don't know what is!


The same thing applies to a workshop or class. Recently I signed up for the third Tarot Telesummit, put together and run by Kim Wilborn. I didn't listen to all the interviews; of course some topics appealed more than others. Same principle as which chapter to read first: cake versus salad dressing - no contest.

I enjoyed many, found them interesting, but alas much of what I heard fell out of my sieve-y brain right away, while other ideas were stupendously mind-grabbing. Little gems, keepers for my tarot practice.

You just need one or two lightbulbs going off for your brain to get all excited!
Bright Ideas Deck (card back)