Sunday, June 12, 2016

My Year Card* for 2016 - The Lovers

Frankly, I'm not sure how this card relates to me at this point in my life.

Emily Dickinson, who led a rather strange life within a rather strange family, had this to say about love:
(The odd use of upper case and dashes is hers.)

Behold this little Bane -
The Boon of all alive - 
As common as it is unknown
The name of it is Love -

To lack of it is Woe -
To own of it is Wound -
Not elsewhere - if in Paradise
Its Tantamount be found -

The romantic modern view of the Lovers, entwined, bonded physically and emotionally, doesn't fit me.
(Although I do love this rendition from the Druidcraft deck!)

And neither does the earlier Rider Waite Smith, which leaves me absolutely cold (as does the whole deck, I must confess).


So, what to do with this misfit card for a whole year?
I went to the shelves to consult the experts. There are, of course, many more wise people of the tarot; my apologies to all those I'm leaving out. The small table where I plunked this stack was about to tip over.

From the top of the pile to the bottom, here are the bits that I plucked (just for me, for the upcoming year) from the masses of wisdom they shared about Trump VI, The Lovers.

1. Mary Greer (Tarot for Your Self, p.236)
"Thinking about relationship." and "Freedom from inhibitions, guilt, conditioning, or bondage."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Juliet Sharman-Burke (Beginner's guide to Tarot p.155) This book/deck set was my first tarot.
"the need to make a choice"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Joan Bunning (Learning the Tarot p.124,125)
"finding out what you care about" and "following your own path"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Anthony Louis (Tarot Plain and Simple p.70)
"You are at a fork in the road."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Kim Huggens (Tarot 101 p.183)
"This card can be seen as a representation of the worlds of spirit and matter. Divine and mundane, interacting and reacting to each other."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"In its modern versions, it speaks of love, deep relationships, fulfillment. But that was not always the case. The older name, or at least theme, for this card is choice."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7. Gail Fairfield (Choice-Centered Relating and the Tarot p.298)
"Experiencing cooperation, collaboration, joining forces; coming together for the sake of a larger, joint purpose..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8. Paul Quinn (Tarot for Life p.65)
"Joining forces creates possibilities not available in solo efforts. Yet even when our partnerships don't meet these ideals, they enable us to discover who we are and who we are not, what nourishes us and what does not - things we could not have learned had we never entered into relationship." 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Given that I'm contemplating retirement within the next year, expressions like: choices, fork in the road, joining forces, finding out what I care about, freedom from inhibitions and conditioning, the divine and mundane interacting, are certainly apt. There's a year's worth of food for thought in these wisdom-bites!

It's challenging to find atypical Lovers cards which I like. Here are a few.
Zirkus Magi
Wizards Tarot


The Threefold Oracle

Tea Tarot
Siamese Tarot


Sacred Sites Tarot

Ravens Prophesy
Mystical Cats Tarot



Margarete Petersen

Inner Child Tarot
Bruegel Tarot


AnnaK Tarot

*In case you're not sure how to find your year card:
Add your day and month of birth (mine are 9 + 6) to the current year (2016) = 2031
Reduce it by adding the individual numbers until you get a single digit. 2+0+3+1 = 6
It worked out the same if I did it this way:
9+6+2+0+1+6 = 24, and 2+4 = 6