Sunday, March 20, 2016

Pulling My Faves Part 4 - Four of Wands


I'm learning to make little journal-y books, and binding them together with stitches that show in sweet little links along the spine. The one that I'm practising most right now is the Coptic Stitch, an ancient method of bookbinding learned from the Copts, or early Christian Egyptians. The jury seems to be out on when this type of binding was first used - estimates range from the 4th to 11th centuries. 

It's supposed to look like this:

My first efforts were disgusting: uneven, tangled, too loose, too tight. The sewing thread, undergoing so many clumsy twists and pulls in the process, ended up all dirty and dishevelled. 
I'm getting better, and I'd like to make a special tarot journal for note-taking at Readers Studio 2016 in New York in April. 

First there's the decision about which card to put on the cover. There are SO MANY that I love!
Finally, I narrowed it down to a few from the Victorian Romantic (I used the 2012 edition) and took them to a generous and skilled photographer friend, who used his super-scanner and professional quality printer to produce three gorgeous images, all sized to fit my little hand-bound books. It was an interesting learning experience for impatient slapdash me, watching him adjust, move things about, slide little bars, adjust some more, choose paper, tweak sizes, double and triple check, and finally print. The results are spectacular!

One of these beauties is the Four of Wands, and I realize that there are many more Fours of Wands that live in the little art museum up there in the attic of my memory.

Let's start with the Victorian Romantic. This is such a zesty, active, out-there, feminist image. I love it!


The Druidcraft shows us the peaceful, safe, serene side of the Four of Wands.
Or is it? Who's left the fire burning, why and where have they gone?

With the AnnaK deck and the Four of Rods, we're heading out on an adventure! There's a bit of the unknown ahead on the open road, but whatever comes, we're with friends.


The Llewellyn Tarot (cropped). Mmmm. I want to go there.


From the Tarot of the Sidhe, Warrior Four: a sturdy co-operative beginning, a solid foundation. I like the sub-title Emily Carding has given this one.


There's something spooky about this Four of Spirals from the Chrysalis Tarot.
Is someone hiding in that house? If so, what are they afraid of? Or should I be the one who's afraid?


A whimsical Four of Rods in the Hezikos Tarot.
Are those trees fixin' on staying put, or are they plotting something down there?


Last one. The Raven's Prophecy. I like the open-ended-ness of this one; it could be so many things. Celebrating a start or a finish, feeling a bit melancholy, relaxing with no particular aim in mind, 
staving off the darkness with colour and light, waiting for guests. The list goes on... 
Who knows?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~