Monday, October 26, 2015

Testing, Testing: Tarot Mucha

I love the look of Alfons Mucha's work!
During the summer of 2013, Prague hosted this exhibition. Of course I enjoyed wandering through the galleries of his collections, but I found myself drawn even more to all the life happening down below on the square of Old Town Prague. Fortunately the ticket wasn't expensive, so I didn't feel too guilty snapping pictures and videos through the open window, instead of admiring the art.

You see those open windows behind the lightpost? The ones with no screens? (So novel for us living in buggy North America, where every inch of open everything is screened!) That's where I lingered with my camera. I hope Mr. Mucha was not too insulted.


Before I'd settled on reviewing the Mucha deck this week, a newsletter from Jet Pens arrived. In it was a word I'd never seen before - Zentangle. The link led to an interesting type of doodling, which took me to videos so of course I had to watch a bunch of those, and one of the designs was called Mooka. After the style of...yup, isn't that amazing!
That clinched it - Tarot Mucha it was!

Here are my first efforts at Zentangling, with a fountain pen. They're not great, but were fun to do!



















Onward to Tarot Mucha from Lo Scarabeo, with a more generous LWB than usual (the English portion, anyway), by Lunaea Weatherstone.
Card back

1. Mucha's art, although beautiful, begins to have a sameness about it after awhile. Once the initial oohing and aahing has worn off, will readers become bored using this deck?

Three of Swords
How DARE you suggest that I am boring! The very idea cuts me to the quick!

Of COURSE there is a recognizable sameness to an artist's work. How else would we identify it, and know that we are drawn to it?
Be sensible!

Do you not know that the brilliant and acclaimed Sarah Bernhardt was one of Mr. Mucha's favourite subjects? Would a famous actress of stage and screen continue to pose for a ho-hum artist?
I think NOT!



















2. Your deck is very much in the RWS camp. Are you unique in some way?                                   


The Magician I
My magic is gentle and my light floats.
There are no harsh bangs and pops here.

The strong emphatic stance of the conventional Magician is softened in me.
I smile in encouragement and invite you to join me.

The linking of art and meaning reminds us that beauty and purpose work well together.

(Note the similarity to the Sarah Bernhardt poster at the top of the blog.)



















3. What was it about Alfons Mucha's work that led you to believe it could yield a good, working deck? 


The Star XVII
Its fluidity and grace.

The notion that ideas can weave and swirl around each other and comfortably co-exist.

Its rounded lines - they lull.
Its romantic borders safely hold the images.*

Mucha's art is not just a pretty face.



*I'm not usually a fan of borders (many of my decks are trimmed) but I appreciate these.

                                                                                                                                             












Many thanks, Tarot Mucha!