Sunday, April 05, 2015

Prepping for Readers Studio 2015

On the 23rd of this month, I'm heading to New York with a minimum of clothing (somehow that reads more risqué than it is), as much US cash as I can muster (alas, our Canadian dollar is down right now), and as many decks as I can possibly cram into my carry-on. It's almost Readers Studio time!

Oh the heady days of being awash in a sea of fellow enthusiasts and temptacious vendors. The anticipation of greeting old friends and the possibility of making new ones. Those gigantic juicy burgers in the hotel bar. An entire hotel lobby filled with people reading tarot. Oh my. It's a dazzling mix.

This year brings something new (and scary-exciting) for me. I'm offering one of the PM Study Sessions. (This is how I felt when I found out that my proposal had been selected.)

You may have noticed that I like decks. Lots of decks. A huge variety of them. And that's what my offering is about - using MORE DECKS in a reading. Such fun!

Here's a small and simple example.

Hi, Tarot!
Any suggestions for my preparations for Readers Studio this year? Shuffling the AnnaK.
Four of Pentacles
      

AnnaK
Very funny. Are you telling me that, had I done a better job of saving money, I'd have more for splurging at the vendors' tables?
Are you implying that I'll be bellied up to the bar like the three luckless creatures in this card, with no funds, watching others downing burgers and beer?

There's more than a grain of truth in that.

Are you suggesting that I'm hoarding (in my head) all my ideas, instead of writing them down somewhere?
That I might be procrastinating?
That when it comes time to relate them to others, I won't be able to find them, and I'll be groping around on the ground looking for them?

Getting warmer.

Sharing my work with others is what this is all about.

Bingo.


I'm going to have a look at the Siamese Tarot.
Siamese Tarot

Running a class is a bit like a performance.

It is.

Am I ready to juggle ideas?
Can I think on my feet?

Questions worth considering.

A couple of areas are securely fastened down, but others are still floating. Prepare as much as possible, but don't be so attached to a pre-planned outline that you miss an opportunity for an even better idea. Draw from the audience; pick their brains.
Go with the flow. Stay loose. Be prepared to rearrange if that's what is needed for a good outcome.

These ideas will serve you well. 





What does the Fantastic Menagerie have to say?
Fantastic Menagerie

Share my ideas while they're fresh. They won't be much use to me or anyone else once they become stale and commonplace.

So true.

There's interest in this now. Dish it out before the onlookers wander off. Don't worry about being too cheesy.

You can't be too cheesy for this crowd.

I'm not the big cheese, just the facilitator.

That's much less daunting. (Keep the cheese references coming.)

Get digging and scraping, Find as many good bits as I can.

Remember, there's a sell-by date on this project.




Thanks for the fresh ideas and the kick-in-the-pants, Tarot!