Sunday, January 11, 2015

Eating Crow in January

Who on earth would want to eat crow? Probably no one, and that's why the expression refers to swallowing something you'd rather not.
I wonder if crows are particularly bad-tasting in January because of all that rotten leftover turkey they searched out at the city dump. Beware the post-turkey crow roast. It reminds me of the old advice that fish are only good eating if caught during months with an 'R' in them.

I love crows. They're brilliant! It's common knowledge that they are superb mimics. They use tools cleverly, and know how to select appropriate mates. In this latter category they are one up on humans.
They've even figured out how to handle their sassy adolescents and train them up to be responsible adults.
When the parent birds are getting nest fever and want a night out, they get the teenage crows to babysit the young nestlings. Then the adults all roost together in the party tree! (Maybe they have cawktails and play cawds.)
Bird Brains by Candace Savage

So why am I eating crow this month? Because I just posted that January is NOT the start of a year, but rather the middle of one. And yet there are so many appealing spreads asking New-Year-type questions. They're hard to resist - so I didn't.

This one is from the deep thought-pool of James Wells, an empowering tarot consultant in Guelph, Ontario. I chose it because of its added twist: not only leaving behind and bringing forward, but also adding to. I like that.

by James Wells
Use your favourite divinatory/symbolic tool with this spread to help you transition from one year to the next.

1        2        3

  1. What to leave behind in 2014.
  2. What to take forward with me into 2015.
  3. What to add to my life in 2015.
I'm using my comfortable AnnaK tarot. Let's see what its images suggest.

1. What to leave behind in 2014 ~ The Magician I

Thinking I'm magic.
Trying to be a miracle worker.
Wanting to be more brilliant than most people.
My beard.
Playing with fire.
Assuming there's a quick fix for everything.
Wearing clothes that are too big for me.
Trying to be Number 1. 
Thinking I have to be "on" all the time.
Buying too many tools (as in tarot decks).

Life is not a performance.











2. What to take forward with me into 2015 ~ Death  XIII
You'd think Death would be more apropos for leaving behind. And yet, here it is.
This has to be about Mom. She left us in 2014.
What to take forward?
Her memory, her legacy, her impact on my life.
The knowledge that, even though her death looks like it's blocking the way forward, she's offering a tool from her beloved garden for me to use in clearing my own way.
My path is cut into two segments: with Mom, without Mom.

Beyond the darkness lies light. Healing. Peace.











3. What to add to my life in 2015 ~ Six of Cups

Hm. Traditionally nostalgia, perhaps wistfulness about the past. What can I add from this Six of Cups?

I tend to look down when I walk around. (My Dad used to say I was looking for money on the sidewalk.) Maybe more looking up, more star-gazing, more paying attention to the wonder of the night sky.
Find more occasions to get dressed up. Go to more concerts. Buy tickets to Cirque du Soleil when it comes to town.
Since Cups are the element of Water, emotions, feelings, relationships, look for ways to interact more often with my family and friends. 
More wine glasses. 
More smiles, more poetry.

Get out of my head and listen to my heart.