Monday, December 01, 2014

Tarot: hellbound or helpful?

I have a beloved family member who is smart, funny, generous, creative, kind, industrious. An all round exceptional and wonderful person. And she's terrified of my involvement with tarot, particularly the soothsaying aspect. I'm on the slippery slope to damnation.
Oh dear.
Not only does this cause an "elephant in the room" situation between us, but it also cuts out a chunk of conversational possibilities. Tarot pursuits of one kind or another account for a significant proportion of my available time and head space.
Here's my brain (not on drugs, for those of you who remember that ancient TV commercial).

So, what would I say to her if we were ever to have a genuine conversational exchange about "my" tarot? Much as I love elephants, I'd really like this one to go away.

First, let's settle that oft-quoted Biblical injunction against "soothsaying".

“There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)


I don't use tarot to predict anything. Period. Nor do I cast spells or call up the dead. I guess I'm off that particular hook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next.
So... if you don't use those cards to tell the future, what do you do with them?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 




Well...
They might remind me of something I meant to do/fix/learn about.
What deck is good at keeping me on task? The Sidhe (sides cropped).

Maker Ten - Kingdom Prospers
(10 of Pents)
Oh, thanks for the heads-up.
Be especially generous with my kids this Christmas season since my own "kingdom" is in a stable and safe place right now.
Relish planning a holiday dinner party for friends.
Shore up the house with necessary repairs that I've been putting off.
Be grateful and bask in the feeling of ease while it lasts.
Also, look to the future and be prudent. No reckless squandering.
Enjoy all my blessings this festive season.









Sometimes they reinforce a decision.
What's a wise comfort deck? The Gaian
15 ~ Bindweed
(The Devil)
My life and surroundings have to work for me, not for other people.
Possessions that no longer serve me need to go.
Obligations that bring me no solace or warm feeling for having done them need re-thinking.
Furniture incoming from Mom's house when it is sold must have either a purpose in my home, or an emotional value. Everything else - let it go. It's only stuff.
Free myself from the unnecessary.
Continue the decluttering.
Unhunch my shoulders. Breathe.








Often they present a completely new way of looking at an issue or circumstance.
What deck is bursting with off-the-wall ideas? The Fantastic Menagerie
Page of Coins
I need a change. How about a new hair colour? Art lessons?
Practice focusing on a task with someone looking over my shoulder. Concentration skills will improve.
I don't always have to be the boss. Let someone else do it.
The house is too cold. I'm reluctant to hike up the heat. Why not buy that cool purple jacket I saw at the local resale shop? Or wear tights under my jeans.
Overworked? I can hire a student to help with the routine tasks.
People don't have to look like I expect, to be smart, worthwhile, and competent.
You know what might help with organizing my office? Colour-coded binders!
That old blue dining room chair of Gram's would be super comfortable to work in. I'm going to bring it upstairs.






Just scratching the surface of how tarot can help!